Best Instant Pot Chicken EverCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
This is a simple, fast, and easy way to make tender, flavorful, and juicy chicken in your Instant Pot. The searing of the chicken seals in flavor; the pressure cooking seals in moisture. It is a very forgiving recipe (say, if you only have two chicken breasts, or you have four, or they are sliced into cutlets, or…) This is a huge hit with both picky kids and picky grownups. You can serve it with any side dishes and you can also use save the leftovers for any number of recipes that call for cooked, seasoned chicken… if you haven’t devoured it all right out of the pot. Enjoy!
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-3 dashes of pepper
1-2 tablespoons olive oil, depending on size and number of chicken breasts
1 medium sized garlic clove, minced or pressed
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, mix together the Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Put the chicken breasts into the bowl and toss until they are evenly coated.
- Press SAUTE on the Instant Pot. When hot, add the olive oil to the liner, and then lay the chicken breasts flat on the bottom. Sear each side for about three minutes each.
- Remove chicken from the pot and place on a plate or bowl. Put the pressed or minced garlic in the pan and quickly saute, 2-3 minutes.
- Press CANCEL on the Instant Pot. Add 1/2 cup stock and deglaze the bottom of the pot (scraping all of the bits off of the bottom). Add the remaining stock.
- Place a trivet at the bottom of the pot. Lay the chicken on the trivet.
- Close and seal the Instant Pot. Steam at HIGH pressure for 5 minutes. Once the timer is done, allow to release naturally for about 5 more minutes.
- Carefully open the Instant Pot and remove the chicken and trivet. Cover chicken to keep warm.
- Whisk together the arrowroot powder or cornstarch in a small bowl. Set Instant Pot to SAUTE and whisk the slurry into the broth in the Instant Pot. Whisk for a few minutes as it thickens.
- Serve the chicken over rice, pasta, spinach, or whatever tickles your fancy. Spoon gravy over the chicken. Serve hot.